Costa do Estoril- Cascais and Estoril
While it has been well know for centuries as a small fishing port, Cascais has changed so much during the last 100 years that has developed to become one of the favourite tourist destinations in Portugal. Going to Cascais means to sense a cosmopolitan atmosphere without missing the local flavour.
Cascais bay is probably the town’s greatest attraction and a stroll around the pathways that circle it is well worthwhile. Cascais is a land of permanent contrasts between tradition and modernity well present, for example, in the vivid colours of the small fishing boats sprinkled around the shore and the yachts and sail boats parked at the yacht club just in front.
Cascais and Estoril boast such a wide variety of both cultural and leisure activities that no one will ever be bored or disappointed. The unique geographic characteristics of this region, its excellent weather conditions and its luxuriant green landscapes ensure unforgettable stays to every visitor.
In the whole of Costa do Estoril (including Cascais and stretching as far as Oeiras) the number of sunny hours throughout the year can be quite impressive: about 2,600! So don’t be surprised if you come across locals sunbathing or having a swim in mid October or even November.
Words just aren’t enough to describe the Costa dos Estoril: Romantic, cosmopolitan, entertaining and full of character it is considered by many as the Portuguese Riviera.
One particular touristic attraction of the area is the food. The fish and shell fish in this region are considered the freshest in the whole country. Once here one can’t help trying some of the most traditional dishes such as: steamed lobster; grilled sea bass, white bream or the unforgettable grilled sole of Cascais.
Adrenalin is a constant in Cascais and Estoril and there is always something new to experiment every time. Some of the main sports attractions include:
- The race track in Autódromo do Estoril: the most important in the country, it hosts every year some amazing national and international motorcycle race competitions.
- Golf courses: A wide choice of golf courses with both excellent locations and infrastructures is available in Cascais and Estoril causing the region to be one of the most sought after golf destinations in Portugal.
- Sea related sports: This is the region where the Atlantic Ocean meets Tagus River thus making these waters ideal for a family holiday or a sports break. Surfing in Carcavelos , Windsurfing in Guincho or yachting in Cascais are just some of the activities you can engage into when visiting the area.
The attractions of this region are not confined to the sea and the extraordinary coast line. The historical heritage of the picturesque town of Cascais, and its importance as a contributor for the cultural life of the region offering museums, exhibitions, architecture and various shows are one of the main reasons why tourism in the coast of Lisbon has developed so much in the past decades.
The Casino of Estoril is one of the largest in Europe offers visitors an amazing experience, not only at gamming level but also as an important venue for different moments of entertainment such as plays, musicals, concerts and other shows.
Nature is also one main attraction in Costa do Estoril and the luxuriantly green Parque Natural de Sintra-Cascais (the Protected Area of Sintra-Cascais) represents the perfect complement for the blue sea embracing the area. Professional guided tours, biking tours and other kind of tailor made tours are available every day all year round.
Business and Events
Culture and entertainment were always present in Cascais and Estoril. Here there is a tradition of organising business tourism events, from seminars and conferences to international level meetings and events. In recent years the region has developed so many important services and support facilities- such as the Congress Centre in Estoril- that it is now a preferred business/leisure destination for many important companies across the world.
Events and Festivities
- Estoril Film Festival: The Estoril Film Festival has become a mandatory reference in the landscape of international festivals and intends once again to celebrate Cinema as the true Seventh Art, not only confronting its past, present and future but also its permanent relationship to the other forms of artistic expression.
- Festas do Mar: Music, Crafts, free concerts, processions, fireworks and much more in this summery celebration of the sea, right at the heart of Cascais old town.